Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tomatoes & Potatoes!


But not in the same recipe!

Tomatoes & Potatoes
Don't you love this photo? Will it gross you out if I tell you I think they look like little eyeballs? But they are so cute! Actually, I'm not even going to give you a recipe for this. I'm going to give you 'assembly' instructions. Ingredients are Cherry Tomatoes, shredded cheese mix - 4 cheese or Italian cheese mix variety, fresh herbs - fennel and/or basil, S&P, capers - important- do not omit capers.

Slice off top of cherry tomatoes. Using a sharp knife, or I use a serrated grapefruit spoon, scoop out the inside of the tomato, leaving shell intact. Add the fresh herbs and S&P to the cheese (to taste) and working over the cheese bowl, stuff the tomatoes with the mixture. It is important that you push as much of the mixture into the tomato as possible. If not, there will be little dents when they are baked. So make certain they are well packed. And then the Caper as the finishing touch is a ‘must!’

I’m learning many people have aversions or are apathetic to capers or thought they were, but are pleased when they bite into this combination of tomato, cheese, fresh herb, and just right saltiness from the caper. So having said that, let me remind you to go very light with the ‘S& P to taste’ instruction above so the other flavors come through. While I’m making my editorial comments, I’ll also say I’ve had more people who original thought they didn’t even care for tomatoes, really, really enjoy this nice light appetizer. (Except my nephew Brian who took a long time to get through one little tiny cherry tomato. But thanks for trying it anyway, Brian) Oh, to finish the recipe: after adding the caper, place in an oven proof baking dish and bake 20 to 25 minutes at 375 degrees until cheese is thoroughly melted! Serve and enjoy.

Now on to Potatoes, because I promised my friend Terri I would post this recipe. I really don’t use exact measurements for this, but I’m going to try to put some numbers with this. Just know you can adjust these to your taste.

Gorgonzola Potatoes
Preheat oven to 375.
New, red potatoes. I buy them in the small netted bag. (about 2.5 lbs)
½ stick butter
2 T. Olive oil
2 T Dry Mustard (I particularly like Coleman’s brand dry mustard and use it for lots of recipes. It’s in a distinctive yellow tin can.)
½ C Parmesan cheese ( I use that grated stuff by Kraft in a plastic jar for this one, but the real thing would be great too.)
S&P to taste
6 oz. Gorgonzola Cheese – crumbled
Wash and halve the potatoes. (If making ahead of time, I keep in a water bath with some lemon juice to keep the potatoes from turning brown. Be sure to dry off well before resuming with recipe.) If any pieces are particularly larger than others, cut in half again, so even pieces result.
Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and stir until well coated. Season with S & P. Turn into a rectangular bake-ware dish large enough that the potatoes are mostly in a single layer. Mix half the parmesan and all the mustard into the melted butter and drizzle over potatoes, it won’t cover each and every potato, that’s okay. Sprinkle remaining parmesan on potatoes. Sprinkle crumbled gorgonzola over top.
Place in oven and bake 35 minutes, turning once about half way through. Sometimes I broil them at the end of the cooking time to get a crusty edge on the cheese….. yum.

Eliot is particularly fond of this dish, too. If you have a seasoning at home called 'Lemon Pepper Marinade'-it's a dry seasoning in the spice aisle, this is also good sprinkled on prior to baking.

That's all I've got today, it's the recipe edition of Betsy's blog. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Marge said...

"B" I am sure those tomatoes are tasty but the picture is not doing them justice! They look weird. Looks like an olive on top.

Betsy5 said...

I know, it's a really funny picture. (funny as in 'odd') They look better after being baked, also are more attractive in a pretty baking dish instead of on a baking sheet as pictured here. I was making these for a large crowd though. IT's really fun to put them in the refrig and surprise people when they open the door, it looks like a bunch of eyeballs staring back at you!

There was an error in this gadget